24 August 2007

Moving In and Moving On

Today at work was SUNY Brockport's 11th Annual Move In Day for incoming freshman. As if I hadn't moved enough of my own personal belongings in the last two weeks, I volunteered to help the students and their families move into their new dorm room. When I worked at St. John Fisher College I worked very closely with the students and their families and I enjoyed that aspect of my job. With my current job, I've lost that connection which I miss and today allowed me the opportunity to reconnect with that part of the campus again. Everyone from faculty, staff, and even the president helps with the moving process and you can tell that the families are impressed and appreciative with how easy the move in process actually is.

Fortunately, I did not have to take part in any heavy lifting (that's why the football team was there) and I was put in charge of directing parents and students to check-in at Benedict and Dobson Halls and then making sure they had their pink ticket so they could drive right up to the dorm and drop off their belongings. I had to be sure that they didn't lollygag when unloading and the traffic was running smoothly through the loop in front of the two dorms. I became very good friends with Officer Dave from campus police and I think this may come in handy in the future!

I also had two very nice conversations with different families, one from Long Island and the other from central New Jersey. Very chatty people, but it is always interesting to see where they come from and if this is their first in college. One mother drove by me as she was leaving the loop and I asked if she was all set or needed help. She replied, "This is my third, I've got this down to a science, and I am out of here!" I laughed, but had a hard time imagining just leaving your child, whether it's the first or the tenth, in their dorm room and going right home after you unloaded everything.

So it was fun day and I will gladly do it again next year! And I would like to point out that three different parents asked what year I was in! That means alot once you turn 30.

No comments: