18 September 2007

The Biggest Loser

Have you ever watch the TV show on NBC, The Biggest Loser? I had never watched it before and last week I happened to catch the season premier. I'm hooked! The premise of the show is great...two teams compete to lost the largest percentage of their body weight. Each team has a personal trainer that works with them on diet and exercise. Don't we all wish we could have a personal trainer to help us? The only issue I have with the show is that the losing team each week votes off their "weakest link". I understand it's a game, but isn't the idea to build confidence and lose weight not make someone feel like their hard work wasn't good enough that week?

I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Is it a surprise? No. Is it a disappointment? Yes. Before I had my son I was diagnosed with PCOS which causes insulin intolerance due to a hormonal imbalance. I was put on Metformin, started a low-carb diet, and lost 50 pounds. I got pregnant and developed gestational diabetes at 16 weeks and was put on insulin at 17 weeks. By the end of my pregnancy I was taking three insulin shots a day and I followed a special diet. I was so careful with everything I ate because I didn't want it to effect my baby. The result was being induced two weeks early and giving birth to a healthy 6 pound, 11 ounce baby boy.

I have always struggled with my weight since I was a child, but when I stick my mind to losing weight I can normally do it. Unfortunately in the last few years I have been really struggling and I currently weigh the most I have ever weighed. It's hard and depressing. I certainly don't feel pretty or attractive. But since my weight is now affecting my health and I don't want it to affect my son, I am vowing to eat better, exercise, and work to be a better me. So in an effort to keep myself from straying from my efforts, I have posted a weight loss ticker on my blog. My goal is to lose 100 pounds over time. Stay tuned and we will just have to "weight" and see how things go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm totally game with you!!!! We should do it together.

I lost 13 pounds months ago. I haven't changed my ticker, because I've gained most of it back :( and I keep cheating by changing my goal. First I wanted to lose 50 lbs, now I'll settle for 40.

And frankly, my skinny, blond, kidless, 'my dog is my kid' PC telling me simply to 'eat healthy' and 'exercise 90 minutes a day' isn't very helpful.

HELP!!!!