27 July 2007

Geneva or Bust! (or Busted)

Each morning I go to the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle site to look at the morning headlines. You have the normal headlines about local politics, crime, the weather outlook, and entertainment news. Yesterday morning I was perusing the headlines and I came across..."Man on lawnmower stopped, charged with DWI". This I had to stop and read:


(July 26, 2007) — A Wayne County man accused of driving a lawnmower while intoxicated early today remained in the Wayne County Jail. About 2:30 this morning, a Wayne County Sheriff’s deputy stopped Floyd P. Sincerbeaux , 29, of Lyons, Wayne County, who was driving a Cub Cadet lawnmower south on Leach Road in Lyons. Sincerbeaux reportedly told deputies that he had been drinking and was driving the lawnmower to a relative’s house in Geneva, Ontario County. Sincerbeaux was charged with felony driving while intoxicated and first-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, a misdemeanor, deputies said. He was also ticketed for operating an unregistered motor vehicle, operating an uninsured motor vehicle and unlicensed operator. Sincerbeaux was arraigned in Lyons Town Court and remanded to the Wayne County Jail in lieu of $2,500 cash bail, according to jail records.


This was Grade A material! Pure entertainment! I could not stop laughing! Now I should state that I grew up in Wayne County, graduated from Newark Senior High School, left for college, and haven't looked back. I am proud that I have planted my family roots in Monroe County.


Now as funny as I found this article, there were also many questions that begged to be answered. Such as why was he ticketed for unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle? Do you need a license to drive a Cub Cadet lawn mower? Also why was he ticketed for operating an unregistered and uninsured motor vehicle? Last I knew a person didn't have to register their lawn tractor with New York State or insure it. Granted it was 2:30am and he was attempting to drive a lawn mower approximately 15 miles to Geneva, but these charges seem a bit over the top to me. Also what prompted the officer to pull over Mr. Sincerbeaux? Was he weaving or did the mower cross the double solid lines? Come on people....these questions need to be addressed.


Needless to say I will be following this case closely. If nothing else, it makes me laugh and makes me feel better about no longer residing in Wayne County.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's too funny!!! Of course we live in the North Country so I can say I've SEEN this on several occasions although not at 2am!

I think the tickets come from him driving it on the road rather than in the ditch. Folks around here use their mowers for regular transportation but they drive them beside on the road not on them. I think that must be why! Only licensed vehicles on the road?