16 November 2007

ABCs and 123s

Last Thursday the Fairport Public Library held a Preschool Fair. We thought it would be great to take advantage of so many preschools in one room and it would be easier to talk and gather information. So the boys stayed home (I wanted to be able to talk with the individuals instead of chasing a two year old around a small conference room) and I went.

A very nice woman from the library greeted me at the door and inside were at least 20different preschools with tables set up and information everywhere. I took my time and went table to table talking to everyone and gathering any information they had. It was a bit warm in the library so after visiting each table I made a run for the fresh air outside. When I got home and had put the little man to bed, we then looked through all the pamphlets, brochures, and papers that I collected. I never knew there were so many different types of preschools out there!

One of particular interest is a preschool at the Strong Museum. This would be wonderful opportunity for the little man and I could easily drop him off on my way to work. Another that really peaked my interest was the Pittsford Cooperative Nursery School. The Pittsford Nursery School (PSN) is a coop run entirely by parents. Parents help out in the classroom about once a month and the more you help out the cheaper the tuition is. The parents also play an important role in the direction the school goes in and the hiring of teachers and assistants for the classroom. They also offer enrichment programs one day a week where they teach music, art, and drama. The little man would absolutely love this! There are a few other preschools that I liked as well among all those that we have looked at.

It dawned on my one night that applying to preschool was much like applying to college. The little man is only two years old! As parents we gather information to look at the many options and want to make the best decision for our child so they start off their education on the right foot. You have to apply be sending in an application and there are application and registration fees along with tuition if you are accepted. We want to make appointments for a tour at each place so we can watch classes in action and see how the little man reacts to each classroom.

I have to laugh at this whole process when we are only choosing a preschool...I can't imagine what it will be like in another 15 years when we choose a college for him!

No comments: